Need help with Facebook desperately? Don’t be fooled.
We recently received this email from Sue M. about how she almost got scammed when she tried to change her Facebook account password.
Click to get KURT’s CYBERGUY newsletter with quick tips, tech reviews, security alerts and simple how-to’s to make you smarter
Here’s what she had to say:
“It all started when my Facebook was hacked. I couldn’t change my password so I googled Facebook customer service. A number came up and I stupidly called it.
I was told to download the Anydesk app. He asked for my address, but the screen never came up. I started feeling sick so I hung up and uninstalled the app. My question is, has my Samsung Android phone been hacked?
I have a new credit card number, but I’m afraid to use it on my phone. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time! ! ! ”- Sue M.
Sue was right to uninstall the Anydesk app, as other Facebook scammers have used this scam before.
Pedophiles Are Using the Metaverse to Lure Unsuspecting Children, According to Police Data
How do scammers use Anydesk?
It was previously reported that scammers would call innocent victims and ask them to install the Anydesk app, as this man did with Sue.
Anydesk is a secure application that allows IT experts to remotely handle any technical issues you have on your computer, which makes sense considering Sue plans to call Facebook for IT help.
However, scammers will ask you to download this app so they can gain access to your computer or mobile phone to obtain personal and banking details. Once they get this information from you, there’s no telling how much damage they can do.
New email scam warning for Facebook, Apple users
“How do I know if my phone has been hacked?”
Since Sue is concerned about whether her phone has been hacked by these would-be scammers, here are a few red flags to watch out for if you experience the same problem:
- Random or full screen popup messages
- Downloading or using an unrecognized application
- Unactivated phone calls, text messages or emails from your phone
- High background data usage
- battery drain
- App opens and closes without warning
- Multiple online accounts had their passwords compromised.
Check out our how-to tips If your phone has been hacked Go to CyberGuy.com and search “How to tell if your phone has been hacked” By clicking the magnifying glass at the top of my website.
Unchecked social media has become our generation’s ‘weapon of mass destruction’: Activist warns TREY GOWDY
“What can I do to prevent being scammed?”
There are steps you should take to make sure you never fall for the scammer’s tricks.
- Never give out your personal information over the phone: If you receive a suspicious call or someone asks for your personal information on the phone, don’t be fooled
- Research the app before downloading: While Anydesk is a legit app, it’s important for you to always research an app before downloading it so you know what it’s for and whether it’s legit. Always check: score (Avoid apps with little or no ratings) Quality of Written Reviews (Clear signs of a suspicious app usually poor grammar) If the developer has a legitimate website.
- this score (Avoid apps with little or no ratings)
- this Quality of Written Reviews (clear signs of suspicious apps are usually poor syntax)
- If the developer has a legitimate website.
- Install antivirus software on your device: The best way to protect yourself from any type of malware is to install antivirus software on your device.
I’ve broken down the top antivirus protection for Mac, PC, iOS, and Android devices.my preference is Total AV And includes real-time anti-malware protection to keep your computer safe from the latest threats.
Check out my expert reviews of the best antivirus protection for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices by searchingthe best antivirus” On CyberGuy.com click on the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
I interviewed CHATGPT like a human being; this is what makes me shudder
RELATED: Warns of New Email Scam Targeting Facebook, Apple Users
Click here for the Fox News app
For more tips from me, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Reports newsletter by clicking the “Free Newsletter” link at the top of my website.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. all rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn commissions on purchases made.