The Series 8 is the latest version of the Apple Watch, originally released in 2015, replacing the previous-generation Apple Watch Series 7.
The latest version has cool features like collision detection and temperature sensors. However, one of the big questions Donna from Lake Charles, Louisiana wrote to me was:
“Our 30 year old daughter found out she has type 1 diabetes at 24. We wanted to buy her a new Apple Watch but weren’t sure about the technology. Is there a big enough difference between the Series 7 and the Series 7? 8 Will she notice?”
How to unlock Android devices and Windows PCs when the owner dies
What’s the difference between Apple Watch Series 7 and Series 8?
First, it’s important to note that the company discontinued the Apple Watch Series 7 after launching the Apple Watch Series 8.
So you’ll need to buy the Series 7 from a reseller.
This brings up an immediate distinction: prices will likely only keep falling. However, is the discounted price worth missing out on Series 8 additions and improvements? Or are the changes big enough to even be reconsidered? With that in mind, I’d like to offer you a side-by-side comparison.
The Series 7’s display is a significant improvement over the Series 6’s, but the Series 8’s display isn’t significantly different, as both models have:
- Face length between 41 and 45 mm
- dust screen
The only notable change is the choice of colors available, the aluminum models in the 8 Series are:
- star silver
- product red
Stainless Steel Series 8 models are:
The Stainless Steel Series 8 does not have blue and red options like the Stainless Steel Series 7.
How to unlock an Apple device when the owner dies
Battery Life and Storage
- Battery Life
Promoted as one of the best attributes series 8 The watch has a battery life of 36 hours in low power mode, however, watch owners series 7 Users who download the WatchOS 9 software will also get better battery life. The Series 7 and 8 have an estimated 18 hours of battery life when not in low power mode, which limits some functionality.
- Promoted as one of the best attributes series 8 watch is its 36 hours of battery life in low power mode
- However, the owner series 7 Users who download the WatchOS 9 software will also get better battery life.
- The Series 7 and 8 have an estimated 18 hours of battery life when not in low power mode, which limits some functionality.
- storageThe Series 7 and Series 8 have 32GB of storage.
- The Series 7 and Series 8 have 32GB of storage.
Health and Safety Features
Donna who wrote to me was concerned about the health and safety differences between the old and new models with the health and safety of her daughter in mind. When it comes to diabetes management, both the Series 7 and Series 8 have features that are helpful for diabetics, including the ability to track daily activity levels and set reminders to take medication.
Other health and safety features to look out for include:
- Both Series 7 and Series 8 currently feature fall detection, emergency SOS, and gyroscopes.
- However, found on the Series 8 rather than the Series 7 is a blood oxygen sensor, as well as two new body temperature sensors, one next to the skin and the other inside the display.
- In addition to monitoring a person’s body temperature 24 hours a day, temperature sensors can also help women track their menstrual cycles and send alerts if any abnormalities are detected.
- Another new feature currently exclusive to the Series 8 is the car crash detector, which not only detects a car crash the moment it happens – if you don’t respond after 10 seconds, it can alert emergency services as well as your emergency contacts people.
How to Quickly Edit Videos on Your Phone
All in all, the changes between Series 7 and Series 8 are relatively minor.
Which of you currently have Apple Watch Series 7 It may be desirable to hold off on upgrading until a new model with more new features and improvements hits the market.
Although for first-time Apple Watch buyers and those who are particularly concerned about their health and safety, might consider paying a little more for a new Series 8 Modelswithout GPS, currently sells for about $399.
But let’s say these few additions don’t bother you. In that case, you might want to consider saving your money and getting the Series 7, which has almost nothing in the Series 8.
Click here for the Fox News app
For more tips on Apple, go to CyberGuy.com and search for “Apple” by clicking the magnifying glass at the top of my site. Be sure to subscribe to my free CyberGuy Reports newsletter by clicking the “Free Newsletter” link at the top of my website.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. all rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn commissions on purchases made.