The new year is a great time to make sure all your devices are running on the latest software and your privacy is protected.
With all of this in mind, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you tackle those top priorities.
How to keep your Windows device up to date
- choose start
- click set up
- click windows update
- click Check for updates.
How to avoid getting scammed by robocalls now and forever
If a feature update is available for your device, it will be shown separately on the Windows Update page.
To install it, click the Download and install now.
You can also set Windows to update automatically…but should you?
If you’re someone who never remembers to update your computer, you might choose to set this option. However, sometimes automatic updates don’t work well with older programs. So, if you decide to set up this feature, be sure to back up your device so you can restore it if anything goes wrong.
To learn more about how to back up your PC, visit my CyberGuy.com site and search for “back up your Windows” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my site.
How to keep your Mac device up to date
- click apple menu
- click System Preferences
- click Software update.
Google Chrome’s ‘incognito’ mode might not let you be so stealthy
If there is a software update available, it will give you the option to update it.You can click the upgrade now button.
A word of caution: A new operating system usually offers a new, smoother interface and features. If you have older programs on your computer, sometimes newer operating systems are not always compatible with older programs.That said, when installing a new operating system, be sure to Always backup your computer just in case.
To learn more about how to back up your Mac, visit my CyberGuy.com site and search for “back up your Mac” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my site.
You can also set your Mac to automatically download any relevant updates via …, but should you?
If you’re someone who never remembers to update your computer, you might choose to set this option. But as mentioned above, sometimes automatic updates don’t work well with older programs. So, be sure to always back up your device if you decide to set up this feature.
Also, to learn more about how to back up your Mac, visit my CyberGuy.com site and search for “back up your Mac” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my site.
How to keep your Mac automatically updated:
- click apple menu
- click System Preferences
- click Software update
- In the window you see below, check the Automatically keep my Mac up to date
- click advanced
- Tick any relevant services you wish to enable.
Apple raises battery service fees for out-of-warranty devices
How to make sure your Android phones and tablets are up to date:
- Note that settings may vary depending on your Android phone manufacturer.
- tap set up
- Near the bottom, tap system
- then click system update
- If any updates are available, you will see and can choose whether to update or not.
How to make sure your iPhone and iPad are up to date:
- tap set up
- tap General
- tap Software update
- If an update is available it will give you the option to download and install it
- To keep your phone always up to date, you can turn on automatic updates by:
- On the software update screen mentioned above, click automatic update Row
- Turn on any related services that you want to update automatically.
A word of caution: Always back up your phone just in case.
To learn more about how to backup and restore your mobile device, visit my CyberGuy.com website and search for “back up your mobile device” by clicking on the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
The creepiest iPhone settings to tweak
After updating your software, it’s a good idea to make sure your web browser is up to date to fix any security issues, which can help prevent hackers from getting into your computer, crashing programs, and bypassing your computer’s security systems. While there are many browsers, here are some of the more popular ones.
- How to update your Chrome browser
- open google chrome
- choose About ChromeFrom the Chrome menu
- Allow it to start scanning from recent updates
- click reboot update complete
- Open the Chrome browser
- In the upper right corner, click more
- click help ThenAbout Google Chrome
- chooseUpdate Google Chrome Note: If you don’t see the “Update Google Chrome” button, your browser is already updated.
click rebootto finish
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app
- click profile iconfrom top right
- choose Manage apps and devices
- Search chrome alloylie in” update available“
- tap renew.
iPhone & iPad
- emissionApple App Store
- tapcontourfrom the upper right corner (it looks like you or a person)
- Scroll down to “update available” and search for Chrome
- If you see Chrome in the list, tap therenew
- If prompted, enter your password or Apple ID password
- After the download is complete, Chrome will automatically update.
5 new Apple products likely to launch in 2023
How to update Safari browser on Mac
Safari is a built-in application on all Apple products and automatically updates with your device’s software.
How to update Microsoft Edge browser
- on windows
- Microsoft Edge is programmed to update automatically every time you restart the browser. However, you can update Microsoft Edge manually:
- Openmicrosoft edge browser
- clicksettings and more
- clickhelp and feedback
- clickAbout Microsoft Edge
Here, it will tell you whether Microsoft Edge is up to date or if an update is available. If an update is available:
- clickdownload and install
- In the menu at the top, click themicrosoft edge
- then clickAbout Microsoft Edge
- Any available updates will be displayed.
The 8 Absolute Best Winter Gloves for Working on Your Touchscreen
Microsoft Edge is also available for download on iPhone, iPad and Android. To make sure it’s up to date, follow the same steps above to update Microsoft Edge as you would update Chrome on these devices.
Make sure you have a reliable antivirus installed
While most devices come with free antivirus software installed, none of them can effectively protect your devices or prevent them from being infected with malware.
Click here for the Fox News app
It’s important to make sure you have a reliable antivirus program installed and running on your device. Click the magnifying glass icon at the top of my site, search CyberGuy.com for “best antivirus” to see my expert reviews of the best antivirus protection for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. all rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn commissions on purchases made.