Despite the nationwide and worldwide popularity of Zoom, FaceTime remains one of the most popular ways to video chat. But if you don’t have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer, you might think you can’t FaceTime with a friend or relative.
The good news for Android and Windows users is that you can actually join a FaceTime call – even without an Apple device! Read on to learn how.
How to FaceTime with Android or PC
The big caveat here is that you can’t start a FaceTime call with an Android or PC. You’ll need to grab your Android or Windows device (with a camera on it), you’ll need a good Wi-Fi connection, and you’ll need to make sure your device has the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Have Apple users create a link for FaceTime calls
For FaceTime, you need someone else with an iPhone or iPad to start a FaceTime call. They can then send you a join link, which you can do on your browser (use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge). Here’s how an Apple user you FaceTime with creates a link:
Make sure you have iOS 15 or later installed (you should – if not, update your software!) or macOS Monterey
· Open the FaceTime app (this is different from your phone app)
· Click to create link
· You can click Add name to name the call or meeting
· You can then send the link via SMS to someone with an Android or Windows device, or via another app such as Mail
· You can also copy the link and send it by other means
Step 2: Join a FaceTime call from your Android or Windows device
Once someone you know with an Apple device creates a link, they can share it with you via text, email, or whatever method you prefer.
· Check to make sure you have the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge installed on your device
· Click on a link sent to you by an Apple user to FaceTime
· Enter your name and click continue
· Your device may ask you for permission to use your camera and microphone (and you should)
Opt-in, and Apple users will let you join FaceTime calls
When finished, tap Leave to end the FaceTime call on your side
For more of my Apple tips, go to CyberGuy.com and search for “Apple”.
Click here to download the Fox News app
For more of my Android tips, go to CyberGuy.com and search for “Android”.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. all rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn commissions on purchases made.