Kurt’s simple Amazon holiday hack hides gifts purchased online for loved ones who share the same prime shopping account. Follow these easy steps and make presents under the tree a secret between you and Santa.
Think back to the days when hiding Christmas presents meant keeping them in a secret place in the attic or basement. Not only do you have to hide the physical gifts you’ve bought, now you also need to cover your online shopping footprint.
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one shopping for Christmas gifts on Amazon. Unfortunately, your spouse, child, or sibling may also be using your Amazon Prime account. So how else can you add the element of wow if you can see what everyone has bought on Amazon? No problem, Amazon has created features to help hide your purchases, so Christmas morning is full of surprises.
Open Amazon Home
This is probably the easiest solution. Amazon Home is an Amazon feature that lets you share your Prime benefits with your family. You can create up to two adult accounts, four teen accounts, and four child accounts. Amazon Household separates all shopping purchases and shipping notifications. So there is no need to worry about your Christmas gifts being revealed before they are delivered.
With Amazon Household, you can not only buy individually, but also share eBooks, audiobooks, digital content, and games.
Create your Amazon home here.
The Grinch Might Steal Your Christmas Check
This is useful if you share your account with multiple people, or have sneaky kids who know your password and will look at your purchase history.The following only applies to desktop or laptop browsers (not on tablet or mobile).
- log into your Amazon account
- Click on “Returns and Orders” In the upper right corner
A list of orders from the past three months will be displayed
- Scroll to find the item you want to hide
- Below the item you will see “Archive Order” A window will appear where you will need to select “Archive Order” again if you do not see “Archive Order” Select “View Order Details” to the right of purchased items On the right, select “Archive Order”
- A window will appear where you need to select “Archive Order” again
- If you don’t see “Archive Order” Select “View Order Details” to the right of purchased items On the right, select “Archive Order”
- On the right, select “Archive Orders”
Even though the item will no longer appear in your order, you can still view it in your account’s “Archived Orders”.
Hide from Alexa
How to keep yourself off the internet
Now, if you’ve got some real detectives in your family, you need to do more than archive your purchases to make sure your gift remains a surprise. You can start by changing your Alexa settings.
- Open the Alexa app
- Click “Settings”
- Find and select Notifications, then select Amazon Shopping
- Scroll to “Speak or show item title” to turn this off now
Now, Alexa will still notify you when a package arrives, but it won’t say what the item is.
clear your search history
We all have that indomitable person who is determined to find out which gifts to buy this year. Another step to keep them out of your tracks is to delete your “Search History”.
The following only applies to desktop or laptop browsers (not on tablet or mobile).
- Go to “Accounts & Lists” in the upper right corner of your browser and select “Suggestions”
- Click on “Your Browsing History” (the gray striped text at the top of the screen)
- Select “Manage History” (the text on the right side of the screen). This will open a line with “Manage History”
- Click the “Remove all items from view” button
- Then select the “Remove all items from view” yellow button that will appear in the center of the screen.
Now that you know how to keep your Christmas shopping under wraps, be sure to check out some of our top tech gadgets for 2022.
Click here for the Fox News app
Copyright 2022, CyberGuy Corp. all rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn commissions on purchases made.