For some, the holidays are all about relaxing at home. If you have extra time, do yourself a favor and organize your messy photo collection. Tap or click to see how I get things done.
Are you visiting relatives? Find your favorite old photos hanging on the wall or tucked away in a photo album. Tap or click on an app to scan them glare-free.
If you laugh at the word “overtime,” I’m here for you, too. Here are some easy ways to put a smile on your face during the holidays.
stop arguing when to leave
Classic Holiday Fight: When should you leave the house to get to your destination on time and avoid traffic?
Stop guessing and let traffic prediction algorithms make your driving easier. Google Maps and Apple Maps offer a variety of options to help you plan your trip.
Protect your privacy, your mobile number and email address
You can make very accurate traffic forecasts for future dates based on the conditions of the day and time. You can then fine-tune your departure time to find the ideal time to hit the road.
Here’s how to set a planned time and date for a trip in Google Maps:
- Open Google Maps and click search here site.
- enter a destination and select it from the results.
- tap direction then click three point button to the right of your location field.
- tap Set departure or arrival time.
- choose departure time and enter the date and time, then click complete. You will be given various route options and details such as time and distance.
- choose one route then click start.
keep an eye on your luggage
Losing your bag on a plane is a hassle, and it’s even worse if you have a gift in it. It’s easy to know where your suitcase is as long as it has a tracker inside.
Apple AirTags is a quarter-sized tracker that uses the Bluetooth of other iPhones to determine their location. You can use the Find My app to see the location of each AirTag associated with your account.
tile tracker Works in a similar way and is a great option for Android users.
Best to put one in your checked luggage. This way, you can see if your luggage has reached its destination. But there’s also a time when trackers are worthless: when your luggage is going through the airport’s internal conveyor belt system. You’ll know exactly where your luggage is once it’s out of there.
I have AirTags on my keys, in my car, and on my dog. Tap or click for more smart ways to use these useful little trackers.
Make virtual gatherings fun
It’s not always possible to see the whole family every year. Virtual gatherings are easier to organize, as we’ve grown accustomed to them during the pandemic.
Don’t spend Zoom or Google Meet calls hoping everyone will stop arguing about politics. Here are three easy ways to liven up your online meetup:
- Give everyone time to talk: Pick a cue and tell your family to get ready to talk for a few minutes. I recommend setting a time cap so your more nagging relatives don’t blah blah blah. My favorite is asking about funny family stories.
- Play a game together: Bingo is always popular and you get free cards this site. If you like games like Pictionary try Draw a dragon. Up to 16 people can play.
- Host a talent show: If your family is full of performers, have everyone put on a short show. I can guarantee there will be plenty of laughs and maybe even a knockout or two.
Jingle bell rock together: How to create and share holiday playlists with loved ones.
How to scan a QR code with your IPHONE or Android phone (no app required)
Don’t overpay on Amazon
Ever wonder if the price you see on Amazon is the best deal, or if it drops when you check out? This is where CamelCamelCamel comes in.
This is a price comparison site that tracks the cost of millions of products on Amazon. You can use this to check if the price is right for an item you’re considering, or if you should wait for a better deal. Here’s how it works:
- Go to camelcamelcamel.com.Enter the product’s Amazon URL in the search bar and click Enter or search icon.
- View trend graphs. You may notice that products usually go on sale during certain months or holidays.
To find deals even easier, install the CamelCamelCamel browser extension, The Camelizer. Tap or click here for a direct download link and steps to use.
For everything else, compare prices here
No one has time to go from site to site or to a bunch of different brick and mortar stores to find the best price on something. Let Google Shopping do the heavy lifting for you. It’s easy to use and shows you prices from just about every retailer you can think of.
- go shopping site.
- Browse popular items, or search for what you’re looking for. Press enter to see where you can buy, prices and shipping options.
- Use the filters on the left side of the page to narrow your results. You can filter by sales, nearby items for pickup, and more.
Here’s a nice bonus: If your payment info is linked to your Google account, you can even buy things directly there without creating a new account.choose buy on google Filter to see your options.
My podcast picks: AirPods as hearing aids, PayPal warning, Twitter alternative
In 30 minutes, you’ll learn 1: How to Find Hidden Privacy Reports on Your Phone, 2: My Secret to Kicking Sneakers Out of Your Netflix Account, and 3: My tried-and-true method for cleaning up my messy photo gallery.
Get more know-how Kim Komando Showbroadcast on more than 425 radio stations and available as podcast. Sign up for Kim’s free 5-minute morning wrap-up Learn about the latest security vulnerabilities and technology news. need help?leave your questions to kim here.
Copyright 2023, WestStar Multimedia Entertainment. all rights reserved. By clicking the shopping link, you are supporting my research. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission on qualifying purchases. I only recommend products that I believe in.